Rental Details and Information
Call Charlotte McCoy at 417-862-9910 ext. 713 for more information. Reserve space for seminars, satellite or video conference equipment, meetings, weddings, holiday parties, trade shows, forums, and company parties and picnics. Print our Rental Brochure (pdf, 2 pages)
Frequently Asked Questions
- When can I have an event at Discovery Center? Discovery Center is open for rental 7 days a week during the day and late evening hours. Discovery Center is open to the public Tuesday through Thursday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Friday- Saturday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm, Sunday 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm and occasional Mondays. Discovery Center's non-exhibit areas are available for private rental during operating hours. All guests, contracted services, and decoratins must be cleaned up and off the premises by 1:00 am or the Renter agrees to pay a $100/hour overtime charge starting at 1:01 am.
- When can I reserve a date for my event? Reservations must be made at least 2 weeks in advance. $50 non refundable reservation deposit is needed to hold the date. This deposit can be applied toward the rental fee, but not refunded if event cancelled.
- What happens if I need to change or cancel my event date after it is reserved? The event can be cancelled only by client to Discovery Center's Director of Special Events. Depending on availability of space, Discovery Center will work with you if a date change is needed.
- Will Discovery Center provide staff for my event? Discovery Center staff is available only for general assistance, museum docent services and emergencies. This does not include set-up or tear-down, cleaning, or serving. If additional staff is needed, costs may increase.
- Is Discovery Center involved in the planning of my event? Discovery Center's Special Events Director will provide advice and suggestions on the planning of your event. All plans must be approved by Discovery Center's Special Events Director.
- Can my guests play with the exhibits? Depending on the space that you are renting certain exhibits will be available.
- Where should my guests park? Your guests may park right outside the Discovery Center doors. Our parking lot holds 79 cars. There are also many free parking spaces surrounding Discovery Center's building.
- Does Discovery Center provide tables, chairs, serviceware, and linens? A limited number of tables and chairs can be provided for your event. There is a fee for additional tables, chairs, and serviceware. No linens are available through Discovery Center. Discovery Center's Special Events Director can provide suggestions of vendors where you can rent these items.
- Does Discovery Center provide food and servers? Discovery Center does not provide food or servers. Discovery Center's Special Events Director can supply the names of area licensed caterers you may want to work with or you can supply your own food.
- Can I serve alcohol at my event? You may only serve alcohol at your event during Discovery Center's non-business hours and you must hire a licensed caterer with a liquor license. Discovery Center's Special Events Director can provide you with suggestions of caterers you may want to use. Alcohol cannnot be served past 12:00 am, may not be taken off the premises, and the Renter will be required to provide a Certificate of Insurance for Liability with Host Liquor Liabiity naming DCS as an additional insured.
- Can I decorate for my event? You are welcome to bring decorations for your event; however, there a some restrictions. The Discovery Center's Special Events Director will provide you with information on allowable decorations.
- When can I set up for my event? If you are renting non-exhibit areas, you may set-up during normal Discovery Center business hours. If you are using exhibit areas, you may set-up as soon as Discovery Center closes its doors to the public.
Policies and Procedures
Contact Charlotte McCoy at 417-862-9910 Ext 713 for contract and to set up a visit to the Center.
Parking and Directions
Discovery Center parking lot is located on the east side of the building near the main entrance. Parking is free if visiting a Discovery Center event. Street parking on both St. Louis St. and McDaniel Street is available and free.
From the Northwest
Take I-44 and exit at Kansas Expressway (Hwy. 13). Go south to Chestnut Expressway and turn east (left). Turn south (right) on Benton Street to St. Louis Street. Turn west (right) on St. Louis Street and go one-half block to the Discovery Center parking lot on the left.
From the Northeast
Take I-44 and exit at Glenstone (Hwy. 60B). Go south to Chestnut Expressway and turn west (right). Turn south (left) on Benton Street to St. Louis Street. Turn west (right) on St. Louis Street and go one-half block to the Discovery Center parking lot on the left.
From the East
Take Highway 65 and exit at Chestnut Expressway. Go west on Chestnut Expressway and then turn south (left) on Benton Street to St. Louis Street. Turn west (right) on St. Louis Street and go one-half block to the Discovery Center parking lot on the left.
From the South
Go North on Glenstone, National, or Kimbrough Streets. Turn west (left) on St. Louis Street, and look for the Discovery Center on the left after you cross Kimbrough Street.
The Discovery Center of Springfield is located at:
438 E. St. Louis St.
Springfield, MO 65806