We’ve missed you and we cannot wait to have you back at the Discovery Center!
There are some changes to how you’ll plan your visit and adjustments inside the museum to ensure the safety of our staff and your family.
Members-Only Welcome Day (DCS Members Only): June 26 10am-2pm and 3pm-7pm
Grand Reopening for all guests: starting June 27 10am-2pm and 3pm-7pm
Advance tickets are required for everyone.
- Advance tickets are required for everyone – members and nonmembers. For the safety of your family, tickets are broken in to morning and afternoon time slots so we can limit the number of visitors in the center. You can come and go with your admission during your designated time, but the museum will close from 2-3 pm daily for a deep clean. Member tickets will always be free! Check your email for your special discount code for free member tickets.
- The number of tickets available each day will be limited to allow for substantial social distancing. We have 60,000 sq. ft. of space, and if you’ve ever been to the Discovery Center on a quiet day, you know just how much room we have to spread out!
- Guests using special passes or needing other assistance should call our Guest Relations team at (417)-862-9910. We cannot book passes for you over the phone but are happy to answer any of your questions.
Masks are required for all guests.
We know that you want to respect our team as much as we want them to show you and your family respect, and because we’re a science center, we’re following the best scientific evidence available to us. The current data tells us that masks likely prevent the spread of viruses like COVID-19. We are requiring masking for all of our visitors who are 3 years of age or older. We’re also requiring our team members working on the floor to wear a mask to protect you all the best way we know how. You are welcome and encouraged to bring your own mask, but we will also have paper masks available for purchase at check in.
You will be required to sanitize your hands at our lobby sanitization station and will get a quick, no-touch temperature check before entering the Center. All of our staff are required to wear masks at all times and will have their temperatures checked when reporting to work. Staff experiencing any sign of illness will not be allowed to report to work.
We will also be sanitizing high traffic areas of the museum throughout the day, cleaning surfaces of facilitated exhibits like the HighWire Bike and Plasma Ball in-between friends, and will have a daily deep clean from 2-3 pm.
The same inspiring experiences with just a few changes!
- You’ll be able to explore freely just like before!
- We’ll briefly close some galleries, exhibits, and experiences throughout the day for extra sanitizing.
- We are limited capacity at some exhibits to ensure room for social distancing (6 ft).
- Our exhibits that move air around (scientific data tells us that’s not worth the risk right now) won’t be open.
- Wonderland and other exhibits where kids share hats, costumes, and other small toys that would often get put in mouths won’t be open immediately while we study their safety more.
- We won’t have our drinking fountains open. Please bring your own water bottles.
Safety will always be our top priority.
- Our staff will continuously clean restrooms, exhibits, high-touch areas, throughout the day, enhancing our already stringent cleaning standards.
- All of our staff are required to wear masks at all times and will have their temperature checked when reporting to work. Staff experiencing any sign of illness will not be allowed to report to work.
- We’ve added even more free sanitization stations throughout the museum for your use
- Some areas will close briefly throughout the day for sanitizing and some areas and exhibits will be temporarily unavailable in an abundance of caution.
- Group Admission: Due to legal restrictions on group sizes, all group bookings including field trips will be considered a rental and handled by our Rentals team. You can learn more about rental pricing by emailing email@example.com
- Event Rentals: We are still available for rentals including special events and weddings! Event spaces may have limited capacity. See our event spaces and start planning your event today! Click here to start planning your rental today.
We understand that COVID-19 is impacting everyone differently.
Some members may have pre-existing medical conditions, may be caring for a family member with a pre-existing medical condition, or may prefer to not wear face masks during this ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Our membership policy has been and will be to offer refunds on qualified memberships that have not realized the full value of their purchase price. We remain unable to refund any active, purchased membership that has realized the full value of the purchase price. We cannot provide payments in exchange for agreeing not to attend our science center.
The true cost for attending the Discovery Center is $35 per person per visit. As your local, nonprofit science center, our mission is to inspire curiosity and a life-long love of learning through memorable and engaging hands-on experiences in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) that is accessible to all. We want as many people as possible to come and learn with us. That’s why we heavily subsidize both membership and admission prices through multiple fundraising events throughout the year. We will honor the subsidized amount and will not use the true cost of admission while calculating refunds.
Unrealized value is the difference between the membership’s purchase price and the total value of usage, which is the sum of admission values for each visit. Unrealized value can be calculated by taking the general admission cost charged to nonmembers for each visit and multiplying it by the number of membership visits to the Discovery Center. The chart below shows general admission pricing for most visits. If your membership covers more adults or children than listed, add $12 for each adult member and $8 for each kid per visit.
Membership Value Chart
Membership Value Chart 1 Adult 1 Adult 1 Kid 1 Adult 2 Kids 1 Adult 3 Kids 1 Adult 4 Kids 2 Adults 1 Kid 2 Adults 2 Kids 2 Adults 3 Kids 2 Adults 4 Kids
Admission Cost per Visit $12 $20 $28 $36 $44 $32 $40 $48 $56
In addition to the admission pricing, each membership will include a $5 per member ASTC Travel Passport program fee. This fee reflects the free admission members have to over 300 museums across the globe. As well, please add $5 to cover processing, postage, and printing for your membership as well as the administrative time taken to process your refund and to cover the cost of business checks. Once you have added the total of your membership value and the processing and ASTC fees together, subtract the total you calculated from the paid cost of your membership. If you purchased your membership during a sale, you must use the cost paid for your membership and not its original retail value.
For example, a membership that covers 2 adults and 2 kids costs $75 at full retail price. If the membership was used twice (2), the membership value would be $105 ($40 each visit plus the processing and ASTC fees). Because the membership value exceeds the paid cost of the membership, no refund will be issued.
Memberships that were won in raffles, giveaways, or as any other charity/marketing events cannot be refunded. Memberships purchased by others cannot be refunded to the named members. If your unrealized membership is a positive number, we will be able to issue a refund. Email all refunds requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re excited to have you back at the Discovery Center!
If your free admission passes expired during our closure from March 17-June 26, we’ve extended the expiration date to September 1. When purchasing your tickets online, please use the code listed on your pass in the discount code box during check out to redeem your free admission pass. Guests needing assistance should call our Guest Relations team at (417)-862-9910. We cannot book passes for you over the phone but are happy to answer any of your questions.
We’re your community-funded science center.
“I just wanted to say thank you so much to your staff and facility for what you have and are doing for us health care workers. If it wasn’t for the Discovery Center and the community, I wouldn’t be able to go to work. Where my child is usually enrolled, closed down during this COVID-19. I just really wanted to express my gratitude and appreciation for everything.” – Mom of Child Receiving Care
We cannot say thank you enough to the generous community support of the Discovery Center during these challenging times. Since closing our doors in mid-March, we have provided over 70,000 hours of free childcare to healthcare workers and their families to help battle the coronavirus. Even though our doors remained closed to the public during the busiest time of the year, our entire staff worked tirelessly to provide the safe, inspiring, educational childcare our community needed. We’re so excited to reopen as your community-funded science center and will be with you every step of the way of our new normal.
If you’ve ever considered giving to the Discovery Center, and if you are able, your gift can make a substantial difference today.
This page was last updated at 9 am on June 22, 2020, and will be updated as new information is available.