What’s a STEM Box?
A STEM Box is a Discovery Center experience “to go” to help you and your children learn at home the Discovery Center way. Every experiment is designed by our award-winning Education Department for maximum learning with maximum fun. Each month, you can order a STEM Box that contains four new themed projects, complete with all the materials and instructions for hours of hands-on fun and learning. Whether you do an experiment a week or just one STEM-tacular weekend, we know you’ll have a blast learning together.
How it works
- Purchase a monthly STEM Box
- Pick up your STEM Box at the Discovery Center
- Explore and enjoy each of the 4 projects included
- Repeat next month!
October 2020 STEM Box
Get ready for Halloween with some spooky, squishy, magical fun with four hands-on experiments.
- An Outsider’s Look at Our Insides: Get to know your vital organs with a life size model–YOU!
- Icky Sticky Blood Sensory Bin: Squish and squash your way through an interactive sensory bin and learn the basic elements in your blood
- Witch’s Brew: Learn about chemical reactions through a color-changing experiment you have to see to believe
- Pumpkin Plumpers & Ghost Growers: Head outside for a messy, fizzy creation with this chemistry concoction
November 2020 STEM Box
Fall in to science as we learn about the changing of the seasons with leaf rubbings, chromatography, and extractions through hands-on fun!
- Leaf Investigation: Create leaf rubbings and learn the different parts of the leaf through creative art
- Pine Cone Bonsai: Grow a mini pine cone bonsai tree from seed to sprout
- Hidden Colors: Pull different colors out of leaves and on to paper in this chromatography experiment
- Pulp to Paper: Mash and grind pulp to create your own paper in this messy art experiment